The story of Montecastelli Pisano
Montecastelli Pisano was founded between 1186 and 1204 by the bishop Ildebrando and Count Guasco. Montecastelli Pisano is a small village, fraction of the town of Castelnuovo di Val di Cecina, located on top of a bare hill a 494mt above sea level. Montecastelli has a territorial extension of about 2800 hectares and is inhabited by about 400 people. Until a few years ago the inhabitants were exclusively dedicated to agriculture and cutting of woods. The country sits on a hill of Gabbro, on the other side of Rocca Sillana to the east that slopes gently toward the river Cecina and west quickly scosche on Pavone stream. Montecastelli Pisano, isolated and little-known, away from noise material and spiritual pollution has remained a place, where the benefit of time is marked not by the clock hands but the signs of nature. The stones of Montecastelli seem to speak and remember the hunger for power old men who brought misfortune and glory to this small village perched on top of a hill. It was the year 1447 and Montecastelli already in 1431 had to suffer employment from Nicholas Piccinini was besieged by the army of Alfonzo V di Aragona king of Naples and Sicily. Montecastelli land of Volterra (before becoming a land of Florence) had never been conquered for a strong army such as Alfonzo di Aragona, entering into the Florentine history of that period.It all began in 1447 with the death of Filippo Maria Visconti that died without sons, left no heirs to the Duchy of Milan. Alfondo di Aragona became his heir. Alfonzo, coming from Valdarno, towards the end of October 1447, are directed towards Volterra and, in val di Cecina, occupied with ease Pomarance, Castelnuovo di val di Cecina, Sasso Pisano and Monteverdi, but he found an obstacle in Montecastelli that spoiled his projects. Montecastelli was besieged but the determined defense of its inhabitants and a kind of tornado that fell on the area, forced the king to remove the siege. Alfonzo retired to Campiglia and with the help of Fazio and Arrigo of Gherardesca (enemies of Florence) could occupy Montescudaio, Guardistallo, Bolgheri, Riparbella but not Campiglia. Almost seems impossible today, in the serene quiet of the hills, we could have been so much war.
The Center village of Montecastelli Pisano
Montecastelli Pisano still maintains its appearance of a medieval castle that develops in the top of a hill at the base which is located the villa Centopino. The isolation of the last century did not allow any type of urban growth outside the primitive village. This has allowed the village of Montecastello to keep intact the character of the old fortified town for hundreds of years.
The tower Pannocchieschi
The tower Pannocchieschi desired by Pagano in 1215, stands at the highest hill of Montecastelli Pisano. Many land data were rented to the family Pannocchischi, a powerful dynasty peasant who sought to get even sound urban by the conquest and retention of the bishop’s chair.
The door Bucignana
The door Bucignana provides access to one of the two main streets of Montecastelli. So called because it opened in the direction of the castles of Gabbro bucignano, decisive in the foundation of the village of Montecastelli. The door bucignana unlike the door Gabbro remained supplements and is located in the southern flank of the castle of Montecastelli. Important artistic significance is the church of Montecastelli Pisano.
The tourism in Montecastelli Pisano
Over the past five years the surrounding area near Montecastelli has been rediscovered thanks to Vine IGT of Montecastelli and the many typical local products. To meet a growing demand of tourists has produced in Montecastelli some farmhouse and farm holiday, the most exclusive is called cottage Tuscany Villa Centopino. Those interested may find useful page listing all events in Montecastelli Pisano.